Monday, June 29, 2009

Slap it together!

Have you ever had those times where the thought of cooking something just overwhelmed you? You are expected to be a wiz in the kitchen and come up with a hot dish despite what state the kitchen is in.....

A nice surprise was found this morning after I decided to wake up on my day off. Mr. G had taken care of the dishes and put them in the dishwasher! Now things were slightly less chaotic to deal with.

Now things were much more primed to cook.

Here is my concoction from the pantry: Mexican Lasagna

Recipe

1 can Italian stewed tomatos
1 pound chicken breast
1/4-1/3 cup sour cream
Graded cheese
Burrito size flour tortillas
1-2 cups white rice (I used boil in a bag rice)

Cut chicken up into bite size pieces. Season with pepper and onion powder while in hot pan. After initial cooking has begun, pour in tomatos and its juice. Let simmer until rice is 2 minutes away from being done. Add rice into skillet and mix well. Add sour cream, put on low eat and reduce heat to thicken up mixture.

Take Pyrex dish and place tortillas cut to shape (I used a 9 x9 pan, so I had to cut them square). You will need 4 of them. Once mixture on the stove has thickened up a bit, layer it with your tortillas. Be sure to place first tortilla down on bottom to start your first layer. I found my trim pieces to work nicely around the edges as I layered my insides. Before placing the final tortilla, sprinkle cheese on top. Then add additional cheese to top of tortilla as this will help from it curling off.

Place in oven at 325 for 10-13 minutes.

Pieces should come out easily for serving. Add salsa as garnish if you like. 9x9 size serves 4-5 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment